Did you know that massage therapy for seniors visiting Chiang Mai has been part of…
Did you know that Chiang Mai’s Thai massage techniques have unique roots dating back centuries? Chiang Mai isn’t just the second largest city in Thailand; it’s a hub for traditional Thai massage. Here, ancient techniques meet modern training. Our article doesn’t just list resources; it dives into the heart of Chiang Mai’s unique massage culture.
Chiang Mai is renowned for its massage schools and workshops dedicated to Thai massage techniques. This article will also provide top videos and books for comprehensive learning.
Top 4 Massage Schools in Chiang Mai
ITM International Training Massage School
SVG Thai Massage School
|• Comprehensive Thai massage courses, ranging from traditional techniques to advanced practices, including oil and foot massage.
• Personalized, family-like training experience, led by Mr. PP, a seasoned expert in spa and resort management.
• Highly skilled instructors with a rich background in healing arts, ensuring an immersive learning environment.
• Small class sizes and an award-winning approach to body movement and energy flow in massage therapy
|Address: 79/10 Sripingmuang Rd
Changklan, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai,
Chiang Mai 50100
Telephone: +66 (0) 63 426 2126
Sunshine Massage School
|• This school is dedicated to teaching Traditional Thai Yoga Massage, following the teachings of Asokananda.
• Sunshine Massage School offers courses for beginners and advanced practitioners alike.
• The curriculum is designed to be comprehensive, ensuring students gain a deep understanding of Thai traditional medicine and massage therapy.
• The school is accredited by the Thai Ministry of Education and Health, and also recognized by international bodies like the Natural Health practitioners of Canada and Massage & Myotherapy Australia
|Address: 159/2 Kaew Nawarat Road 4
Wat Ket, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai 50000
Telephone: +66 (0) 5 262 574
TTC Spa School
|• Famous for its practical and high-quality training, TTC Spa School offers specialist courses including therapist training and Thai traditional massage.
• The school is renowned both in Thailand and internationally, attracting students from all over the world.
• TTC Spa School is accredited by the Ministry of Education in Thailand and offers a comprehensive range of massage courses
|Address: 121 162 M7 new 10
San Phi Suea, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai 50000
Telephone: +66 (0) 83 205 7770
Top 3 Online Videos on Thai Massage Techniques
If you’re unable to visit Chiang Mai or don’t have plans to do so, the next best option is to utilize online resources for learning.
1. 36 Essential Thai Massage Techniques by Gam’s Home
- Variety of Techniques: The video demonstrates 36 essential Thai massage techniques, providing a comprehensive overview that’s beneficial for both beginners and experienced practitioners.
- Professional Demonstration: Techniques are demonstrated by Gam Prathueng, a professional in the field, ensuring that the methods shown are authentic and effective.
- Detailed Instruction: Each technique is presented with clear visuals and instructions, making it easy for viewers to understand and follow along.
- Pacing for Learning: The video is paced in a way that allows viewers to absorb and understand each technique, making it a valuable learning tool.
- Accessible Resource: With the video available online, it’s a convenient and accessible resource for anyone looking to learn or refine their Thai massage skills at their own pace.
2. Thai Massage Course by TMEMassageEducation
- Structured Learning: The video is part of a series, offering step-by-step instruction, making it easier for viewers to follow and learn progressively.
- Specific Techniques Demonstrated: It covers specific techniques (1-5) in detail, providing clear demonstrations of each step, which is essential for beginners.
- Focus on Warming Up: Emphasizes the importance of warming up, showcasing techniques for the feet, legs, and patella, which are crucial for a safe and effective massage.
- Accessible Learning Resource: The video comes with a link to a free workbook, enhancing the learning experience by allowing viewers to study and practice alongside the video.
- Expert Instruction: The course is presumably conducted by professionals with in-depth knowledge of Thai massage, ensuring that the techniques taught are authentic and effective.
3. Thai Massage Class Demonstration by Somatherapy Institute
- Expert Demonstration: The video features a full Thai massage routine demonstrated by instructor Ron Garcia from Somatherapy Massage School, offering viewers expert guidance.
- Comprehensive Coverage: It covers a complete Thai massage routine, providing a holistic view of the practice from start to finish.
- Educational Reference: Designed as a reference for students, the video serves as a valuable educational tool for those learning Thai massage techniques.
- High-Speed Format: The demonstration is done at a high speed, allowing viewers to see the entire routine in a shorter time frame, making it efficient for review and study.
- Reminder of Compassion: The video emphasizes the importance of performing bodywork with compassion and respect, reminding viewers of the ethical considerations in massage therapy.
Top 5 Books on Thai Massage Techniques
If reading is your preferred method, consider these top books for learning Thai massage.
1. Thai Massage: A Traditional Medical Technique by Richard Gold
- Historical Depth: Provides an extensive look into the history and evolution of Thai massage, offering readers a deep understanding of its cultural and medicinal roots.
- Practical Insight: Combines historical context with practical techniques, making it a valuable resource for both beginners and experienced practitioners.
- Expert Authorship: Richard Gold’s expertise and experience lend credibility and depth to the content.
- Cultural Insights: Offers valuable insights into the cultural significance of Thai massage in traditional medicine.
- Reader-Friendly: Despite its comprehensive nature, the book is written in an accessible manner making it suitable for a wider audience.
2. Encyclopedia of Thai Massage by C. Pierce Salguero
- Comprehensive Coverage: Acts as an all-encompassing guide, covering a wide range of topics from theoretical foundations to detailed practice instructions.
- Authoritative Source: Written by a respected figure in the field, ensuring the information is both accurate and reliable.
- Illustrations and Photos: Includes detailed illustrations and photos to help readers visualize techniques and concepts.
- Cross-Cultural Perspectives: Provides a comparative look at how Thai massage integrates with other healing traditions.
- Resource for Professionals: Serves as an excellent reference book for practicing massage therapists and students.
3. Thai Massage Workbook by David Roylance
- Interactive Learning: Offers practical exercises that allow readers to apply what they’ve learned, enhancing their skills through hands-on practice.
- Technique Focus: Delivers in-depth discussions on various techniques, perfect for those looking to deepen their understanding and proficiency.
- Step-by-Step Guidance: Offers clear, step-by-step instructions that are easy to follow, ideal for beginners.
- Personal Development: Encourages personal development and self-practice, enhancing the learning experience.
- Feedback and Reflection: Includes sections for notes and feedback, encouraging readers to reflect on their progress.
4. The Art of Traditional Thai Massage Asokananda by Harald Brust
- Pioneer’s Perspective: Provides insights from one of the Western pioneers of Thai massage, offering a unique blend of traditional knowledge and modern application.
- Cultural Connection: Emphasizes the spiritual and cultural aspects of Thai massage, offering a holistic view of the practice.
- Firsthand Experience: Asokananda’s personal experiences and journey enrich the narrative, providing an authentic perspective.
- Spiritual Connection: Highlights the spiritual elements of Thai massage, offering a comprehensive understanding of its holistic nature.
- Influence and Legacy: Discusses the influence of traditional Thai massage on modern practices and its legacy in the Western world.
5. Thai Massage & Thai Healing Arts Bob Haddad
- Holistic Approach: Explores Thai massage within the broader context of Thai healing arts, providing a comprehensive understanding of its place in traditional medicine.
- Diverse Techniques: Discusses a variety of related practices and techniques, making it a versatile resource for anyone interested in the full spectrum of Thai healing arts.”
- Variety of Contributors: Features contributions from various experts, offering a diverse range of viewpoints and expertise.
- Practical Application: Focuses on the practical application of techniques in various settings, including therapeutic and spa environments.
- Continued Learning: Encourages continued learning and exploration, providing resources and suggestions for further study.