The nonchalant city of Chiang Mai is a shocking mix of old and new, wherein travellers have the option of absorbing both traditional as well as modern Northern Thai culture. Chiang Mai openly welcomes travellers from all around the globe and makes a traveller-friendly environment that caters to everybody’s party spirits. This provincial city boasts many ancient and prominent Buddhist temples built next to luxurious hotels, as well as modern shopping complexes and lively markets that make the most of your day.
If you want to experience striking outdoor activities while partying day and night, then Chiang Mai is the ideal spot for you.
Learn About Chiang Mai’s Outdoor Activities — Travellers’ Indulgence
For those interested in exploring outdoor sports with a good dose of adrenaline rush, Chiang Mai surely has enough options to entice you. Here, learn about different outdoor activities that travellers can indulge in:
- River Cruising — Book a cruise for yourself down the Ping River and spend your vacation in Chiang Mai in the most extravagant manner. The option of a cruise is available through a sailboat and lasts for a day or two. This is a well known choice for travellers who are looking to enjoy some private time with their partners.
- Zip Lining — Another fantastic experience in the air in Chiang Mai is to go for zip lining, which allows you to fly from tree to tree in the jungle. This is a one of a kind way to know jungle life through a different perspective. In this activity, you are suspended on a three kilometer long zip line, 40 feet off the ground, to view the jungle.
- Whitewater Rafting — Any traveller should definitely enjoy whitewater rafting down the prominent Mae Tang River. This is one of the most renowned outdoor activities of Chiang Mai, which is combined with mountain biking and elephant riding to lure travellers. There are many rafting adventure groups that offer 10-kilometer or more rafting trips along the river. If you want to enjoy the best rafting experience, plan a trip in the months of June to October, as the water levels are higher during this time.
Protecting Your Skin While Partaking in Chiang Mai’s Outdoor Sports
There is a wide array of fun outdoor activities to partake in, no matter what time of the year. In addition, it is important to protect your skin and eyes from the harmful ultra-violet rays of the sun. Here are some tips for your protection:
- The best way to protect your skin from the sun is to cover it with clothing, such as a scarf or golf hat for the face.
- To combat exposed skin, you need to apply a handful of sunscreen before you step out to enjoy adventure sports like rafting, zip lining, trekking, etc. The sunscreen lotion that you use should be rich in SPF, i.e., more than 30 SPF.
- Sunglasses are an integral part of your sun defense plan. You should wear sunglasses that block 100 percent of UV rays and also soak up the high-energy visible or blue light (HEV) rays. Excessive exposure to the sun’s UV rays can cause damage to your eyes in the long run.